6/26/13

Pool Over and Abide By The Rules

Hotel rules and ticky-tack regulations could cause me to be arrested. I know that they have to jump through ALL kinds of hoops and regulations to please both the city and state. Some of their policies operate on the side of caution. I know this.
I check into a well-known chain hotel and I receive the following notice. (Verbatim. It's attached to my key sleeve, with a rubber band wrapped around it.) Here goes:

In accordance with our state's Health Department Regulations and for your safety,
it is important that you are aware of our pool regulations:
1. There is no lifeguard on duty.
2. Never swim alone
3. There is no substitute for adequate supervision. Children under 16 MUST be accompanied by an adult or guardian.
4. In an Emergency pick up pool area phone and dial #9.
5. No alcohol or glass around pool
6. No running, diving or horseplay.
7. Swim at your own risk.

The gal at the front desk says I have to sign a form stating that I have "read" these pool regulations and that I will abide by them. I'm laughing to myself thinking - this is NOT a problem. You see, it is March and it's New York and it's 29 degrees outside. Dumb. Save it for summer, for cryin' out loud.
So, in reality, these guidelines for protection weren't applicable right now, wouldn't you say? I think so. It's much like reading from the scriptures - words that don't really pertain to me right now - but later on, you find that they "fit" just right.
I remember reading a passage from Proverbs 31:25-26 when I was a teen, thinking, "This really doesn't apply to me. I'm not an old woman."

She is clothed with strength and dignity,
    and she laughs without fear of the future.
26 When she speaks, her words are wise,
    and she gives instructions with kindness.
"She is clothed with strength and dignity, and she laughs without fear of the future.
When she speaks, her words are wise, and she gives instructions with kindness."

Maybe now the age old ice is melting and I'm ready for an arctic swim. No running or diving, mind you, but you can bet - there'll be some horseplay! That's just who I am. "Pull the icy tarp off! I'm ready for a plunge!"
So, the next day I check out of the hotel. I smile at the manager and mention, "You know, I had a good laugh over your rules and mandatory agreement for your pool - especially since it's sub-freezing outside!"
He laughed too. Then said, "You know we have an indoor pool too, right?"
(Silenced, I drop my head in embarrassment.)
Yes, I laughed out loud without fear of the future, knowing that one day I'd tell you this story. "When she speaks, her words are wise." (When exactly does this happen? Swim and speak at your own risk. I need adequate supervision...)



ALSO posted on SueDuffield.com

1 comment:

Rachel Quigley said...

Heehee....I can totally see you do this, too! So funny....

Thanks for the good word of truth. Reminds me of the story that Corrie Ten Boom would tell....she was questioning some things and her father said, "Corrie, when do I give you your train ticket?" And Corrie replied, " when I get on the train" And her father replied, "That's right! I give it to you when you need it. That is the same with the Father. He gives it WHEN it's needed!"