5/5/10

We Interrupt This Program...

As a radio personality at WNRK Oldies Radio in Delaware, I had numerous on-air bloopers over many years. What a fun thing it would have been if I had ever thought to record each show and edit it for my own hilarious archives! Many bloopers are permanently imbedded in my brain, even without Memorex to remind me. My boss once burst into the studio while I was preparing to wind down my shift, and asked me to read a Public Service Announcement before signing off. This would be a challenge, since I already had it timed perfectly to the top of the hour, with both local and network news plus the last song of the day ready to spin. Reluctantly, I grabbed the announcement out of his hand and just went for it.

This is what I read, “Sally Martin has passed away (a prominent local politician – not her real name). Memorial services will be this coming Friday evening at 7 p.m. at Spicer/Mullikin Funeral Home right here in Newark, Delaware.” Without missing a beat, I went right back into my DJ mode, not thinking about the song I had preselected to end my shift:“...God bless you, Sally – and now it’s time for more great music on Oldies Radio WNRK! Here’s Nancy Wilson with “I’ve Got A Lotta Livin’ to Do!”

Oh, how I wish our lives were filled with unexpected fun moments like this! Interruptions can really be a charge to our already planned and structured day! I have learned that when we allow the Holy Spirit to disrupt our schedule, the results are worth any
perceived inconvenience on our part.

What To Do When Your “Program” Is Interrupted...
1. Be prepared for those interruptions!
Interruptions often present us with a choice—to say yes or no. The gospels give numerous accounts of Jesus responding to interruptions. I love the fact that Jesus never turned down anyone’s request for healing, regardless of the intrusion on His schedule.
2. Saturate your schedule in prayer!
Commit your daily planner/calendar to God. Leave room for “unwelcomed” interruptions, and develop godly anticipation for divine appointments!
3. Remember, not even death can separate you from God’s love!
Romans 8:38-39 says, “For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.”

SUE DUFFIELD is a heart-warming and honest storyteller, singer/songwriter and free-lance writer who travels extensively sharing her faith, music, and comic relief. She and her husband of 35 years, Jeff, travel in and out of the country doing retreats, conferences and special events.
(From the e-newsletter "Laugh Lines", a women's ministry endeavor from the National Women's Department of the Assemblies of God. To subscribe for free, join here.)

No comments: