4/24/23

149. Bend My Heart


How in the world could that heavy metal door just bend and mold itself around the stationary telephone pole with amazing ease? This question answered, plus a whole lot of levity and spiritual honesty, comes at the expense of a crazy car mishap and that telephone pole. That not-so-euphoric experience was a conversation piece for some time until Jeff Duffield, Sue's husband, had his own "come-to-Jesus-meeting" with a vehicle and a container pole at an ice cream stand. But that's another story...

One of Sue's favorite song's lyric says, "Move me with Your message once again, and bend my heart once more around the tree..." (written by Brandt Gillespie)

(Bend my heart once more around the tree? What could that mean?) 
Here's a few interpretations, talked about on this episode:

 1. Mold my heart around the cross, the stationary immovable depiction of a painful, gruesome method of execution? How strange..

2. Take my most prized life-sustaining organ and exchange it for God's act of love in Christ's sacrifice? How weird is that??

3. Better yet, live each day with a "cross" impression on my heart, much like a piece of metal bending around a telephone pole?? Sounds somewhat foolish..

Sue Duffield believes it makes perfect sense to those who, for the Kingdom's sake, desire hearts that are bent over backwards, forwards, sideways or whatever it takes, to make a "God impression" in this world.

For the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God. For it is written: “I will destroy the wisdom of the wise; the intelligence of the intelligent I will frustrate.”
1 Corinthians 1:18-19

www.sueduffield.com


Check out this episode!

No comments: